With seed funding from the California Department of Food and Agriculture’s (CDFA) Specialty Crop Block Grant Program, Fairplex, through The Learning Centers, expanded its 1/3-acre urban farm into nearly five acres of California specialty crop vegetables, fruits and herbs to be used for the benefit of the community. Part of the grant is also used to support hands-on horticultural courses for high school students via TLC’s Career & Technical Education Center (CTEC).
A school field trip to a local farm is a great way to expose students to local agriculture, learn and have fun at the same time. Field trips to The Farm at Fairplex help students identify nutritious, wholesome food and encourage them to connect with local farms and farmers. Plus, field trips have an added advantage of being interactive and fun!
• The hands-on experiential learning environment a farm provides is invaluable to a students’ educational growth.
• Not only does the student learn about farm practices, chores, animals, plants, the farm lifestyle, the product and farm economics, but they also learn about history, math, science and health topics which are relevant to their classroom curriculum.
• Fun and educational hands-on activities that utilize The Farm and are aligned with California Common Core Standards.
• The Learning Centers at Fairplex offers educational programs at The Farm that reconnect students to the agricultural heritage of the Inland Valley and opens doors to future generations who care about food and farming.
• School field trips are available to grades K-12 year-round.
The Learning Centers at Fairplex
1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768
Copyright © 2014 Fairplex. All rights reserved.
like us on facebook
The Learning Centers at Fairplex relies on the generosity of supporters to sustain its programs which benefit the community.